Thursday, August 20, 2009

Batteries & Basketball

Today is a day of mixed emotions.

Emotion #1: excitement. About a year ago, I purchased a used lap top from a friend. This lap top has been very good to me especially for the price that I paid. However, it has always been frustrating that the battery life was only a mere 14 minutes. Well, last night I was messing around with it and stumbled across this feature called "battery calibration." So, I ran this program. It took about 8 hours but after completion it appears that my battery now has a life of approximately 45 minutes. How exciting! So, I definitely recommend battery calibration to anyone who is having laptop battery issues.

Emotion #2: sadness. I am an University of Memphis alumni and student and I am also an avid Tigers sports fan. Today the NCAA released a ruling in which they stripped the Tiger's basketball team of 38 wins and a Final Four appearance. This means that 2 banners will be taken down from our rafters: our Final Four banner and a banner for our three seniors who in their 4 years at Memphis had accumulated the most wins of any college basketball player ever. The Tigers also were 4 conference wins away from the longest conference win streak in history. That too is no longer possible. Now, I know that this is not important in the grand scheme of life. I understand that sports are just for fun and entertainment and don't really matter in eternity. But it still hurts. I really loved every moment of that magical season and now it seems as though it was all smoke and mirrors. Just an illusion. So it stinks for me as a fan and for all of the players who put in countless hours of practice and did nothing wrong. But moving forward, I am happy that our old coach who has a history of NCAA violations is gone and our new coach seems to be a very upright and moral man. I hope that going forward everything will be done by the book and that we will return to the Final Four in a fashion that can never be taken away.

Thus, the end of my first superficial post. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment