Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May 1, 2011 - my thoughts

The big news of the week is that Osama Bin Laden was killed by the U.S. military. There was a wide range of reactions to the news. For about the first 24 hours I processed the news itself and the reactions of people.

I'm still not sure what the appropriate reaction is. But here are my thoughts. Feel free to agree or disagree because I am definitely open to constructive criticism.

First, I don't think that I have it in me to celebrate death & I don't think I should. It's pretty clear that this man did not accept Jesus as Lord & Savior. And so based on what I believe the Bible says, it is pretty clear where this man will spend his eternity. No matter how evil the man is, I cannot wish that on anybody.

Second, I know that he deserves that eternity. He lived a life of sin and the wages of sin is death. Thus, his eternity is just. However, I also know that I deserve that eternity. I have sinned and fallen short of righteousness. The wages of my sin is death. Thank God that He so loved the world that He have His one and only son so that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. I follow Jesus as my Lord and Savior and I am so thankful for this indescribable gift that I will not be able to completely understand until I am with Him in Heaven.

Third, as I processed the news, I remembered the events that transpired on September 11, 2001. Those events claimed the lives of 3,000 people. And I know that it is a very good thing that the man who orchestrated those events can no longer bring harm and death to this world. And for that, I rejoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment